Dust collector reviews are necessary to help educate us on the best dust collectors available in the market. A dust collector is so much important to any wood worker, infact, it is the number one tool every wood worker must have; they are more than just a big vacuum blower. It does not only suck up waste, it also has the capability to trap small/tiny particles which are hazardous to human health and may contaminate the air if left.
The number one problem faced by almost all woodworkers in their workshop is sawdust. In the process of cutting a wood, large amounts of debris are expelled into the air and they are likely to land on your furniture and tools or hover in the air which is dangerous to the health.
An intelligent/smart woodworker will know when best to get a new, good dust collector. Collection of dusts lies on the suction or, more accurately, the air flow through a machine. The air flow is generated by an electric motor which drives large impeller, or fan blade. The bigger a dust collector size the better performance it assures.
In this review today, I’ll be listing the best dust collectors out there. They are capable of keeping your workshop clean and safe and also keep you in good health at the same time.
Things to consider before purchasing a dust collector
Choosing a good dust collector which would fit in to your workshop can be confusing a times. There are lots of different dust collection systems, and they all have their benefits and flaws. Also, there are important things one needs to consider before purchasing a new dust collector, check below.
This is likely the most important factor to consider in a dust collector system, it is measured in Cubic Feet per Meter (CFM). Obviously, power tools displace profuse air while in use and also considering sawdust, it is therefore very vital to pick a dust collector that can be able to handle/manage the air displaced by your power tool.
Ensure you pick a dust collector with a small finely weaved cloth to trap tiny waste particles because; all dust collection filters are not equal. The smaller the weave the more efficient the tool will be.
Most dust collection system sound output is advertised in dBm. A dust collection system with a lower dBm is advisable as it will create less noise in the workshop/home/workplace.
The best dust collector reviews
Shop Fox W1826 Dust Collector
This is a versed dust collector, it can be mounted on a wall, work bench or kept on a bare floor. It is sleekly crafted to capture dust direct from the source. Shop Fox W1826 packs 537CFM capacity and is capable of handling any woodworking machine.
- Simple wall bracket: It comes with a simple wall bracket and locking screws to ensure the tool is well guided to the wall.
- Micron Bag Filtration: W1826 bag filters out particles down to 2.5 microns in size and it comes with a transparent window glass so you can see how much dust already accumulated in the bag.
- Space Saving Design: Whooping 13-1/2-in. x 24in deep bag size to accumulate large quantity of dust.
- Safety Paddle Switch with lockout key: This dust collector comes with a paddle switch to watch over the safety of other switches because of the plus-size paddle & removable lock-out key it packed. This feature lets you to simply power down the system when you’re done without having to look around to acess the OFF button.
|Motor – single-phase||1 HP, 220V/110V, prewired 110V|
|Suction capacity||537 CFM|
|Pressure (Static)||7.2 in.|
|Impeller||10 in. balanced cast-aluminum|
|Intake Hole Size||4″|
|Collector bag capacity||2 cu. Ft.|
|Standard bag filtration||2.5 micron|
|Gross height||44 inches|
SHOP FOX W1685 Dust collector
Yet another super dust collector in my list today is from Shop Fox! This dust collector will keep your workplace clean and dust free at all times. Equipped with a single-phase motor (3,450 RPM), 1-1/2-horsepower, a heavy-duty 12 in. steel impeller (1,280 CFM), and finished with a powder-coated finish, this system is great dust collector to look out for. It is capable of resisting scratches, fading, chipping, and other wears.
Shop Fox W1685 can be used as a mobile unit dust collector or kept at a place.
- Heavy-duty 1.5Hp motor.
- Big bag (5.4 cubic feet.)
- 2.5 microns
- Single phase motor (3450 RPM)
- Scratch and chipping resistant
- 6in. dispensable “Y” inlet fitting with double 4inches openings
|Motor||1-1/2 HP, 110V, single-phase, 3450 RPM, 16A|
|Portable base size||21-1/2″ x 33-1/2″|
|Air suction capacity||1280 CFM|
|Static pressure||10.1 in.|
|Impeller||12 in. balanced steel|
|Standard bag filtration||2.5 micron|
|Bag capacity||5.4 cu. Ft.|
|Gross height||78 inches|
Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector
This dust collector is a portable dust collection system with Vortex Cone feature which improves the separation of chips in other to eliminate clogging in the filter.
The system at a glance
- Features Vortex Cone which help to improve chip separation
- Tarnishes improper filter clogging for effective performance
- Quick-connect collection bags with elastic band for fast, easy installation and removal
|No. of air Inlets||1 at 6″, 2 at 4″|
|Hoses Connection Diameter||4 / 6”|
|Filter Bag/Canister Length||25In|
|Moto power||1-1/2 HP|
Powermatic PM1300TX-CK Dust Collector
PM1300TX- CK Dust Collector from Powermatic is a super exclusive dust collector system with cool features. It comes with an exclusive TurboCone technology to help improve chip separation which may lead to filter clogging.
The canister filter assures smooth surface filtering area on standard bags, it absorbs up to 98% of 2-micron particles. Rigidity & air flow in this machine is improved by the all-metal duct.
Powermatic PM1300TX features 4 swivel casters and conveniently situated handles for easy mobility.
- TurboCone technology
- Remote-controlled digital timer can be programmed for up to 99 minutes.
- Canister filter offers over 6 times filtering surface area of standard bags.
- Dual 4 inches dust ports for simultaneous collection from 2 machines.
- 1-3/4HP motor offers plenty of power for effective air movement
- 10” cu. Ft. collection bag size
- Rapid installation and removal of collection bag with the help of a snap ring.
|Air Flow at 6in (CFM)||1,064|
|Inlets||1(6″) or 2(4″)|
|Static Pressure (WC)||11.31|
|Sound Rating (DB)||75 – 90|
|Bag Diameter||20 in.|
|Collector Bag Length||30”|
|Collector Bag Capacity||10 (Cu. Ft.)|
|Hose Connection Diameter (In.)||6 / 4 inc|
|Filter Bag/Canister Length||26”|
|Motor Power (HP)||1-3/4|
|Motor Voltage (V.)||115/230|
|Prewired Voltage (V.)||115|
|Motor Current (Amps)||15/7.5|
|Recommended Circuit Size (Amps.)||20/15|
These are my pick on the best dust collectors worth banking on. They are relatively cost effective and can deliver effectively.
The dust collectors listed in this article today can be purchased from amazon or any other reputable online e-commerce website.